Elementary/Middle School Music Education Program
The St. Joe’s High School Music students strive daily to create emotional connections by learning to communicate emotion through sound. Studying music not only gives a student a constructive outlet for expression, but enhances one’s ability to comprehend relationships in a variety of other areas of study.
St. Joseph High School is thrilled to offer a new after school Music Education program for students in grades 5-8 throughout Fairfield County.
It is important for students to have the opportunity for consistent Introductory level after-school music education program in our area given the disruptions presented in many districts by the pandemic. This year, St. Joes will be offering introductory classes in Choir, Percussion, Brass, and Woodwinds on Wednesdays after school.
St. Joe's Music students strive daily to create connections by learning to communicate emotion through sound. Studying music not only gives a student a constructive outlet for expression, but enhances one’s ability to comprehend relationships in a
variety of other areas of study. Music brings joy to a person’s life and helps develop one’s inner being. The goal of this program will be to provide a safe, fun, and educational experience centered around expressive musical artistry. At the end of the school year, we expect that the students will participate with their middle school classmates during the St. Joe’s spring concert in May.
After-School Music Program Details:
The start date for all participants is Wednesday October 27, 2021.
Parents/Guardians are asked to attend class on October 27 to help facilitate your students' set up on SmartMusic as well as to help them understand how to assemble their instrument.
- Every Wednesday, the program will utilize the following schedule:
- 3:30pm - Percussion class
- 4:00pm - Brass Class
- 4:30pm - Woodwind Class
- 5:00pm - Choir Class
- 10 minutes prior to the start of class, students are expected to be situated in St. Joe's cafeteria, assembling their instruments.
- Should any class have less than eight students, we will kindly request that parents sit in on the class.
- There is a participation fee of $200 for the year (October 2021-May 2022) per student.
Instructor & Class Size:
- All classes taught by Mr. Brian Miller, St Joseph High School Music Director. Mr. Miller's resume includes a wide range of professional experience. He has worked with beginners and professionals in an array of performance and training arenas.
- In order to allow for proper social distancing, each class will have a maximum of 11 students per class.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. At this time, St. Joseph High School is unable to offer transportation.
- We will be using the SmartMusic platform as our main learning resource for the Percussion, Woodwind, and Brass classes. Each student will be provided with a class code and will need to create an account in order to use SmartMusic. Students must bring their ipad or chromebook to class every week.
Additional Details for Percussion Students:
- Percussion Students will need to have a combination practice pad and bell kit that they own so that they may practice at home. Click here to view an example.
Additional Details for Brass & Woodwind Students:
- St. Joes has a limited number of woodwind and brass instruments that are available for students to use free of charge for this year. To reserve a free instrument, parents must first pay their student's participation fee for the year and sign a waiver taking responsibility for any damage to the instrument. Students can also rent their own instruments through any local music store if we do not have any available.
- Brass & Woodwind students will need to have a performance mask at rehearsals. Click here to view an example.
Additional Details for Choir Students:
- Students need only come prepared with a face mask.
Music Education Program Registration Form: