Do you enjoy discussions surrounding ethics, faith, and religion? St. Joseph High School accepts and welcomes students of all faiths into our classrooms. Senior students even have a wide variety of electives to choose from - ranging from Bioethics to World Religions to Faith & Reason.
The Theology Department proclaims the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the magisterial teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. Through the Theology curriculum, students learn to articulate the Faith, develop a closer relationship with God, and manifest the Gospel values in their lives. Students take a full credit of Theology each year. In their senior year, students will choose two half-credit courses or enroll in the year-long Peer Ministry course.
The New Testament course is my favorite. Not only do I learn about Catholicism, but I learn life lessons. This class teaches us so much that can be implemented in our daily life.Chloe '21
Partnership with College & School Counseling
The Theology Department works closely with our school Counselors to allow for time when Peer Ministers or mentors may come into the classroom to speak directly with our students. During these class periods, Peer Ministers or Mentors speak to our students on topics that are relevant to their social and educational learning, such as social media, alcohol/drug use, and bullying.
Notable Alumni Working in the Theology Field
- Paul Brunner '05 - Current Theology teacher at SJ
- John Connaughton '94 - Priest in the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Nicholas Couture '21 - Seminarian in the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Brianna Farens '10 - Religious Sister
- Shari Garcia '10 - Works as a DRE at Saint Pius X in Fairfield
- John Imbimbo '12 - Former Theology teacher at SJ. Currently entering the diocesan seminary
- Samuel Kachuba '01 - Priest at St. Pius X in Fairfield
- Krzystof Kuczynski '06 - Priest in the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Joseph Marcello '94 - Priest in the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Jessica Mazal '10 - Theology Teacher at Notre Dame of Fairfield
- Jessica Medoff '00 - Theology Department Chairperson / Campus Minister at Notre Dame of Fairfield
- Jamie Mitchell '95 - Religious Sister
- Michael Novajosky '01 - Currently in Washington, DC studying Canon Law
- Sal Orosz '20 - Seminarian in the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Kyle Piatak '06 - Theology Teacher and Campus Minister at Holy Cross in Waterbury.
- Meghan Piatak '02 - Theology Department Chair at SJ
- Kate Piquette '08 - Former Theology teacher at SJ
- Emily Rauser '13 - Youth Minister at Saint Pius X in Fairfield
- Eric Silva '08 - Chaplain at St. Joseph High School
- Robert Wolfe '06 - Priest in the Diocese of Bridgeport