Fall Open House 2018 - Remarks from Dr Keane & Dr Fitzgerald!
Application for the 2019-2020 School Year Is Now Live!
St Joseph High School Seeks Applicants Who…
- Reflect performance, conduct and effort that meet SJHS Criteria as evidenced by testing results and grade reports
- Choose to take responsibility in their actions and efforts both inside and outside the classroom
- Want to join a supportive environment of academic achievement and personal development
- Understand and value a co-educational community developing intellectual, spiritual, and civic leaders
- Are willing to participate in our programs and activities
- Seek to share their talents with our community through extracurricular programs and activities
St Joseph High School admits students of any race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin. Students and parents should realize that St Joseph High School is a highly competitive college preparatory high school and not all applicants can be accepted. In order to be considered for admission, a student must apply following the established guidelines.
Entering Grade 9 (Class of 2023)
Step 1: Complete and submit your online application and the following materials by November 12, 2018. (*Applications completed after November 12, will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
- Freshmen Online Application (click here)
- Application Fee: $50 (includes the exam if taken at St Joes)
- Report cards for 7th, 8th grades (an interim report is acceptable for current school year) Please submit a Records Release Form to your current school to release your report cards to St Joes.
- Two Recommendation Forms (English Teacher and Math Teacher - available via the online application or download a paper copy here.
- Entrance Exam Results (See Step 2)
Step 2: High School Placement Exam (HSPT). All new students must take an entrance exam. If you apply to St Joes, your application fee includes the entrance exam taken at SJ ($50). Sign up on the Entrance Exam Registration page after applying.
- First Exam: October 27, 2018 (7:30am-12:00pm)
- Second Exam: November 10, 2018 (7:30am-12:00pm)
- Third Exam: To be determined based on the number of late applicants who have not taken an exam (December).
- The exam is a one-time test. Test takers can send their results to the Diocesan high schools to which they are applying.
- Prepare yourself! Sign up for the SJ Entrance Exam Prep Course on October 19-20, 2018 at SJ.
Step 3: The 2018-2019 Financial Aid forms are made available in October 2018 and must be submitted by November 12, 2018 for an applicant to be considered for need-based aid. Please note: To complete your FACTS application, 2017 Tax Documents must be submitted via your online FACTS application. Applications received after the date are not guaranteed financial aid and are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Step 4: Decision Letters to be mailed by December 14 (if application completed by November 12). Scholarship, Financial Aid and Placement information will be included in the letter (if all documents have been received by deadline).
Step 5: Respond by February 4, 2019 with registration confirmation fee of $1,000 to save your spot in the Class of 2023.
Entering Grades 10, 11 (Classes 2022, 2021)
Applications and transcripts for transfer students must be received no later than one month before the school year begins. Freshman and sophomore year students may be considered for transfer at the start of the second semester (usually in mid-January), if their application and transcripts have been received by the first week of January. Junior year students will be considered at the start of their junior year only; juniors are not considered for transfer mid-year.
Checklist for Transfer Students
Step 1: Transfer students can apply for entering grades 10 and 11 for the start of the new school year or mid-school year in January (includes Grade 9). Complete and submit your online application and the following materials:
- Transfer Online Application
- Report cards past two years
- Guidance Counselor recommendation letter
- Standardized Test Results (i.e. CMT, PSAT, etc.)
- Submit a Records Release Form to your current school to release the necessary school documents listed above (report cards, recommendation, test results).
Step 2: Transfer applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A mandatory interview is scheduled after review of documents.
Step 3: Decision Letters will be mailed on a rolling basis to meet the needs of our applicants.
Step 4: Accepted students must respond with enrollment deposit. Contact Joanne Rodgerson (203) 378-9378 x310 to start payment.
Step 5: Upon acceptance, transfer students are assigned a student mentor and a specific guidance counselor to provide orientation and aid in school transition.
St Joseph High School is pleased to offer admissions to International Students, and encourages all to share the experiences of secondary education, and life, in America. At St Joes, we value the rich diversity of cultural experience that international students bring to our institution. We currently have students representing China and South Korea. We welcome students from other countries as well.
Important: All international applicants must apply through an approved international student agency. Please contact (203) 378-9378 x452 for more information.
Please contact Jessica Costa, Director of Marketing & Enrollment Management, for more information about international admissions and recruitment.
International students can apply for the fall semester, grades 9-11. Complete and submit your online application and the following materials (through the international student agency):
- International Online Application (via the agency)
- English and Math teacher recommendations
- Report cards from the past two school years
- Copy of valid passport
- Submit the TOEFL Junior Standard (9th grade) or TOEFL Standard Test (10th, 11th grades) (http://www.ets.org/toefl_junior/contact/standard)
- A mandatory Skype interview will be scheduled with the Director of Enrollment.
Step 2: Every international student is responsible for locating a host family vetted through their third party agency. The student/family/agent will be notified with an Acceptance Letter from the school admissions office after the actions in Step One are completed and the qualifications of the student are evaluated.
Upon receiving the acceptance letter, the following items are necessary before attending classes at St Joseph High School:
- A student is not registered for classes or enrolled in St Joseph High School until a $1,000 deposit is sent to our bursar, Joanne Rodgerson (203) 378-9378 x310 or email@example.com
- A tuition agreement signed by the person responsible for the student’s tuition. Tuition for the 2018-2019 academic year is $19,200, which includes textbooks, ESL classes (if needed), and additional academic support
- Tuition payments received by St Joseph High school in compliance with the payment option designated in the tuition agreement.
- Proof of legal guardianship (for example, a letter from parents)
- Current medical and immunization records. Forward these to our school nurse, Dorothy Miller. She can be reached at (203) 378-9378 x307 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- According to Connecticut State Requirements, a physical exam must be completed in the US and submitted within 30 days of enrollment. Forward exam results to the school nurse.
- After the student is enrolled (meaning payment received), St Joseph High School will issue the I-20. Contact Ms Jessica Costa (email@example.com) for all matters concerning I-20s
- All international students will attend the first day of school (regardless of school year) in order to take placement tests for necessary subjects.
- All students are required to purchase uniforms through Blakes School Uniform