St Joseph High School's Office of Admissions is ready to assist you throughout the entire high school search and application process! Browse our website for all of the information you will need, but don't hesitate to call or email our office at any time. Below are some frequently asked questions to get you started. We can't wait to meet you!
firstname.lastname@example.org | (203) 378-9378 x308
Fax: (203) 378-7306
Because we are a Catholic school, we welcome you, we value you, and we believe in your future. Your transition from middle school to high school is an easy one. The academic work may be more difficult, but our faculty, staff and students are here to help along the way! Click above to hear more from Brooke, '20 about her transition to St Joes.
- What is a Shadow Visit?
- When is Your Next Open House?
- What Test is Used for the Entrance Exam? When Are Exams Scheduled?
- How Do I Register For the Entrance Exam? How Should I Prepare?
- Where Do I Apply?
- What Happens if I Missed the Application Deadline?
- What Are My Chances of Being Admitted?
- How Will You Determine a Student's Course Placement?
- Does St Joes Provide Transportation?
- Does St Joes Offer Financial Aid and Scholarships? What is the Difference?
- What is Tuition for 2019-2020? What are the Payment Options?
A shadow visit is the most authentic visit experience. A prospective student will have the opportunity to spend a full class day at St Joes with a current student, including going to all classes, meeting faculty, and lunch is included.
8th graders and Transfer Students can shadow October 1, 2019 - May 8, 2020 (book your appointment early). Click here to request a date!
7th graders can shadow March 2, 2020 - May 8, 2020
A parent must call Mrs Lucy at (203) 378-9378 x455 to schedule the appointment or click here to request a date!
Our Open Houses follow a structured itinerary. This is a great way to get to know our school with your interests in mind!
Fall: Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 1:00pm (Early tours begin at 12:00pm)
Winter: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 6:30pm
Spring: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 6:30pm
Register online today! Pre-Registration allows you to have a quick check-in when you arrive and planning information regarding parking and an event itinerary will be sent in advance.
The entrance exam St Joseph High School uses for admission consideration is called the High School Placement Test (HSPT). When you take the entrance exam at St Joes, pay just one fee for your application and exam! Click here to register for the exam!
Students can choose one of the following dates (this is a one time test):
- Saturday, October 26, 2019 from 7:30am-12:00pm.
- Saturday, November 9, 2019 from 7:30am-12:00pm.
A third exam is contingent upon the demand of applicants after the application deadline. This exam would be scheduled for December.
The entrance exam is divided into five areas:
- Non Verbal
- Measures abstract reasoning skills, based on geometric shapes and figures. This predicts success in school activities requiring abstract reasoning.
- Measures reasoning skills based on the understanding of words. This predicts success in school activities requiring verbal skills.
- Measures vocabulary and reading comprehension, emphasizing sentences and paragraph comprehension. It also tests the ability to find the main idea and draw conclusions from reading passages and inferential and critical comprehension.
- Language Arts
- Measures usage, grammar, listening, and composition skills.
- Measures skills including computation, concepts, and applications of mathematical reasoning to work problems drawn from everyday experiences. Calculators can not be used on the entrance exam.
If you have taken the Connecticut Mastery Test or the Iowa Basics Test, you will be familiar with the HSPT. Get a good night's sleep and eat breakfast before arriving to take the test.
Registration for the Entrance Exam is online (click here)! Your application fee ($50) will include the exam only if it is taken at St Joes. If you are planning on taking the exam at St Joes, please apply before arriving to take the exam.
St Joseph High School also offers a High School Placement Exam Preparation Course! This year's prep course will be held on October 18-19, 2019. The 2019 Prep Course Registration will open in August 2019 and the registration form will be available here.
Apply online by clicking through to St Joseph High School's Online Application portal. Complete the application and submit it online along with the non-refundable $50 testing and application fee before the exam.
The deadline for the Class of 2024 application (2020-2021 school year) is November 11, 2019. Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Transfer student applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, but the deadline for the Spring 2020 semester is December 20.
Each application is reviewed by our admissions committee. Your academic performance during seventh and eighth grades (for incoming freshmen) or the previous two academic years (for transfer students) is very important. Effort and motivation are as important as grades.
The committee considers the following information before a decision is made:
- Entrance exam score
- Current report cards (two most recent years)
- Teacher comments on the report cards
- Recommendation forms sent: one from each an English and Math teacher (Transfer students: Guidance Counselor)
- Attendance record (as indicated on report cards)
- Effort, Participation, Behavior
Placement for incoming freshmen is largely based on the review of the student's entrance exam results, report cards, and teacher recommendations. The Admissions Team works closely with the Department Chairs and Guidance Office to appropriately place a student for the coursework at St Joes. Students are notified of their placement upon acceptance. Schedules are not deemed finalized until the first day of school.
We offer optional placement tests in June for incoming freshmen for World Language and Math (In order to take the Math Placement, the student must have taken Algebra or Geometry in the 8th grade).
St Joseph High School is proud to welcome students from more than 36 towns in Connecticut!
- Busing is provided for Trumbull residents through the town of Trumbull.
- St Joes provides four additional bus routes and a Carpool Network to support our students.
For more information about Bus Routes, please visit our transportation page.
Academic (merit) scholarships are available to those students who receive a composite score of 90% or higher on our entrance exam and whose transcripts indicate high academic achievement. To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must take either the first or second entrance exam and submit a completed exam by the November 11, 2019 deadline.
Financial aid is based on a family's financial need. The FACTS Financial Aid Application is available to all eighth grade applicants. The application opens on October 1, 2019 and the deadline for incoming freshmen (2020-2021) is November 11, 2019. Applications received after this deadline are not guaranteed financial aid and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please call Mrs Rodgerson in the Financial Office at (20) 378-9378 x310 if you have any questions regarding financial aid or tuition payment options.
Tuition for the 2019-2020 school year is $16,450. International student tuition is $19,800. Tuition is inclusive of books.
Extra costs to consider are an iPad, uniform and transportation (optional).
Parents have three payment options:
- One Full Tuition Payment (due June 1)
- Two Half Tuition Payments (due June 1, December 1)
- 11-Month Payment Loan with Union Savings Bank (begins June 1)