We're looking for Class of 2019 Cadets who really love St Joes!
Congratulations Class of 2023!
You're officially St Joes Cadets, welcome to the family! This page is your "one-stop-shop" for all you need to know as new students entering St Joseph High School. Below is a checklist for you to follow as you prepare for your first day at SJ!
As always don't hesitate to contact the Admissions office at (203) 378-9378 x308 if you have any further questions!
Freshman Elective and Optional Placement Exam Registration
We are already building your schedule for freshman year! Freshmen have an option of choosing an elective course as well as a World Language. Students may also elect to test into a higher level Math or World Language. Please read more about electives and placement exams before making your selection.
Each student will receive a tentative course listing at Orientation on May 8. To learn more about our curriculum sequence and program of studies, click here.
Freshmen Course Electives
Freshmen students may elect to take both Technology Concepts and Introduction to Health and Wellness or either Concert Band or Concert Choir.
Technology Concepts (CP)
This course introduces freshmen to technology-centered inquiry-based learning by integrating Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs with applied hands-on STEM experiences. Students will have repeated opportunities to learn collaboratively, practice task-management, and cultivate teamwork, effective communication, and critical-thinking skills and will gain the software and technical skills necessary for success in high school, college and beyond.
Students may elect to take this course during the summer session and will receive a full-week study hall during one semester of freshman year. Please note that the summer course is a two-week intensive program that requires a high level of motivation.
Introduction to Health and Wellness (CP)
The overall goal of the Health and Wellness curriculum is to introduce St Joseph’s incoming freshman into the basics of health, fitness, nutrition and creating healthy lifestyles using the SJHS gymnasium, fields, and the Health and Wellness Center. At the conclusion of this course students will be able to navigate the Wellness Center, understand the basics of nutrition, weight management, proper hygiene essentials and how to develop a personalized plan to create “fitness for life.” This course will introduce students to the Plt4m digital application which will track student progress as they are introduced to weightlifting and basic athletic development.
Concert Band (CP), 1.0 Credit
Concert Band provides students the opportunity to develop their musical and spiritual potential with an emphasis on fulfilling musical objectives. Students engage in activities designed to give them a thorough grounding in instrumental playing and musical literacy, instrumental technique, performance practice and sight-reading. The band performs at St Joseph High School events. Concert Band requires attendance at two after school dress rehearsals for winter and spring performances. Pre-requisite: Students must have prior instrumental experience and an understanding of sheet music.
Concert Choir (CP), 1.0 Credit
The Concert Choir ensemble is for the student with a love of singing, no previous vocal training required. Students work on sacred and secular choral literature while studying music notation, sight singing, music vocabulary and vocal technique. In addition to ensemble rehearsal, students receive bi-weekly small group lessons for instruction designed to address individual student needs. Concert Choir requires attendance at all after school rehearsals and performances.
(Optional) Math & World Language Placement Exams
Math and World Language placement exams are not mandatory. If your student chooses not to take an exam, he or she will be placed in College Prep Algebra I and Level 1 World Language. These exams are administered on June 13 or June 15 to students who wish to opt-in to taking one or both of these exams to be considered for placement (higher than level 1). All students will be notified of their placement the first week of July.
Math Placement Exam: Students who have taken a full year of either Algebra I or Geometry in 8th grade are eligible to take this exam. The Algebra I and Geometry subject exams are tested separately. A list of topics tested on the math placement exams can be found here.
World Language Placement Exam: Students who have taken a full year or more of world language instruction are eligible to take this exam. Exams are available for French, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin.
- Thursday, June 13, 2019 or Saturday, June 15, 2019
- 9:00am - Math Exam
- 10:30am - World Language Exam
Please use the form below to make a freshman elective course and world language selection. You will receive separate confirmation emails for each selection a week after your submission, however you will receive a copy of your selections once you submit your form. Please reach out to our office should you have any questions firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-378-9378 ext 308.
- New Student Event Dates
- Orientation and Start Dates
- Sign Up For SJ Bus Transportation Or SJHS Carpool Network (Optional)
- Get Connected & Involved
- Review Uniform Guidelines
- Learn More About Summer Courses and Sports Camps
- iPad Order Form
- Coming Soon!
- Parent Meeting (optional): March 27, 2019 (6:30-8:00pm)
- No registration needed
- The transition to St Joseph High School is an easy one. The Class of 2023 Parent Meeting is an opportunity to get a head start on enrollment forms and ask any clarifying questions you may have. We look forward to helping with each step as you prepare for your student's first day at St Joes!
- Class of 2023 Student and Parent Orientation - Day - May 8, 2019 (6:30-8:30pm)
- No registration needed (this event is mandatory)
- Sport your maroon and gold at Orientation! This event is a great opportunity to meet faculty, staff and your future classmates. We will prepare you for the summer ahead and ensure you know your next steps for your first day at SJ.
- Optional Placement Exams - June 13 or 15.
- Registration required.
- 9:00am Math Exam
- 10:30am World Language Exam
- Uniform Swap - June 15, 2019 (8:30am-12:00pm)
- No registration needed
- Seniors donate their gently used uniforms to freshman on their last day, come take an item or two to add to your closet!
Orientation Itineraries will be available in June.
- School Start Dates
- August 26, 2019 - International Student Orientation (for new international students only) (9:00am-2:00pm)
- August 28, 2019 - Freshman, International and Transfer Student Orientation (7:55am-12:30pm)
- August 29, 2019 - Freshman and Sophomore Orientation (7:55am-12:00pm)
- August 30, 2019 - Junior and Senior Orientation (7:55am-12:00pm)
- September 3, 2019 - First Full Day of School (7:55am-2:15pm)
Clubs and Activities:
Check out this list of Clubs and Activities so you can get involved right away when you enter as a freshmen! A club and activity fair will take place during August Orientation.
Click here to view our sports by season. We will notify you of fall sport try-outs when the information is available (mid-summer).
There are many ways where you can keep up with the latest information about St Joes!
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- See us on Instragram
- Watch our Youtube Channel
- Check out pictures of all the happenings at St Joes on our SmugMug page!
Get to know our faculty and staff before you enter our school halls in August! Check out the Faculty and Staff Directory with bios and information about our teachers and staff!
Uniforms: All students are required to be in full uniform for the start of school. The uniform can be purchased at Blake's School Uniform in Stratford, CT.
Click here to download: Dress Code Requirement for St Joseph High School
Click here to learn more about our summer course offerings! Descriptions, dates and times are available now. Registration will open April 8 at noon.