Become a Person for Others
One of the goals at St Joseph High School is to make students more aware of the needs of others and of our shared responsibility to help those in need.
Our students will have begun to develop a life-long love of serving those in need and giving generously of their time and unique gifts. We take our motto of “Privilege and Responsibility” very seriously, recognizing and embracing the call to imitate Jesus. We strive to build a culture of service where helping those in need is more of a joy than a requirement.
“O my God, teach me to be generous, teach me to serve you as I should, to give without counting the cost, to fight without fear of being wounded, to work without seeking rest, to labor without expecting any reward, but the knowledge that I am doing your most holy will.”
Mee the Director of Campus Ministry
Mr Jordan Smith
Mr Smith graduated in 2012 from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA with a dual degree in Classics and Theology. He will complete his masters degree in Educational Leadership and Social Justice from Boston College in May 2021. His love for Campus Ministry began in an internship at St John’s High School in Shrewsbury, MA in 2011-2012. Upon graduating from Holy Cross, he began teaching Theology at Notre Dame High School in West Haven, CT where he developed their Kairos Retreat Program in addition to grade level retreats and a student-led retreat program called BRO (Brothers Reaching Others). Mr Smith has also taught courses in Christology, Morality, Peer Leadership, Old Testament and Global Issues in addition to his work in the spiritual life of the school.
Since 2012, Mr Smith has spent summers at The Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, CT as a Dorm Head and English Teacher in the Loomis Chaffee Summer Program. In 2017, he worked with a team to successfully integrate a new retreat option for their community.
His training by the Jesuits at Holy Cross helped him realize that his work in service to others is - always - the most rewarding.
Service Hour Requirements
What Counts for Service?
Freshmen and sophomores are permitted to fulfill the service requirement through serving St Joseph High School, as well as their own communities, including their own churches, schools, or towns. Freshmen and sophomore may also log hours in service to the hungry, homeless, sick, elderly, disabled, economically disadvantaged, or an organization that directly supports those causes.
- Juniors and Seniors are asked to go beyond serving our immediate community and directly confront social injustice in a deeper way. They must perform acts of service that assist the hungry, homeless, sick, elderly, disabled, economically disadvantaged, or an organization that directly supports those causes.
The following may NEVER be considered service and if submitted will be invalid:
- Volunteering at FOR-profit businesses (i.e. doctor’s offices, law firms, stores, etc).
- Any house, yard work, or babysitting done for family, friends, or neighbors.
- Anything in which payment is received, or doing work you would normally be paid for but not accepting pay.
- Service should not be done through organizations that are contrary to the mission and beliefs of St Joseph High School and the Catholic Church.
- New service opportunities will be posted on the message boards at school and on our school website.
- If you have any questions about potential service projects, please contact Mr Smith!
Tracking Service Hours Using x2VOL
Students will use x2VOL to track service hours.
x2VOL is an online platform that provides an easy way to log your hours and find volunteer opportunities. Please follow the instructions below to register and begin logging your service hours.
- Visit www.x2VOL.com and click JOIN.
- Select the “My School Instructed me to Complete my Registration” option and click on “Complete
- Type in “St. Joseph High School” and click Search – and select our school name.
- Type in your Last Name and Student email.
- Enter the remaining profile fields.
- Set your interests and skills and click Proceed.
- Set a password, select your group and check the required boxes to complete your registration.
- Log in and view your Dashboard.
- See Mr. Smith or contact Intellivol if you have any issues!