Community Service at
St Joseph High School
Christian Service Requirement at St Joseph High School
It is the goal of the Christian Service Program at St Joseph High school to make students more aware of the needs of others and of our shared responsibility to help those in need. At the end of their high school career, our students will have begun to develop a life-long love of serving those in need and giving generously of their time and unique gifts. We take our motto of “Privilege and Responsibility” very seriously, recognizing and embracing the call to imitate Jesus. We strive to build a culture of service where helping those in need is more of a joy than a requirement.
Freshmen are required to complete 15 hours.
Sophomores are required to complete 20 hours.
Juniors are required to complete 25 hours.
Seniors are required to complete 30 hours.
What counts for service?
- Freshmen and sophomores are permitted to fulfill the service requirement through serving St Joseph High School, as well as their own communities, including their own churches, schools, or towns. Freshmen and sophomore may also log hours in service to the hungry, homeless, sick, elderly, disabled, economically disadvantaged, or an organization that directly supports those causes. For specific suggestions of organizations and activities, see the attached chart.
- Juniors and Seniors are asked to go beyond serving our immediate community and directly confront social injustice in a deeper way. They must perform acts of service that assist the hungry, homeless, sick, elderly, disabled, economically disadvantaged, or an organization that directly supports those causes. Service to the school or to their own communities may be included in Above and Beyond hours. [There do not need to be distinctions made between National & Global Issues, as was previously required.] For specific suggestions of organizations and activities, see the attached chart.
- The following may NEVER be considered service and if submitted will be invalid:
- Volunteering at FOR-profit businesses (i.e. doctor’s offices, law firms, stores, etc ).
- Any house, yard work or babysitting done for family, friends or neighbors.
- Anything in which payment is received, or doing work you would normally be paid for but not accepting pay.
- Service should not be done through organizations that are contrary to the mission and beliefs of St Joseph High School and the Catholic Church.
- New service opportunities will be posted on the message boards at school and on PlusPortals.
Freshman Year service focus is SCHOOL, to demonstrate that it is a privilege and responsibility to attend to St Joseph High School and each student should be engaged and involved in this community. The hour requirement is 15 hours.
Sophomore Year the focus is COMMUNITY, to demonstrate that our communities (towns, parishes, schools) help us develop into the persons we become and this must be acknowledged with gratitude and service. The hour requirement is 20 hours.