Over the past few months, there have been a lot of exciting discussions related to course selection for 2018-2019.
Some significant curriculum changes to look for include:
- The creation a new senior class in Peer Ministry. Students in this course will facilitate and direct retreats for students in grades 9, 10, and 11.
- An upper-level elective in Coding and App Development
- A new course in Entrepreneurship and Technology -- for students interested in learning the “entrepreneurial mindset" by encouraging creativity, innovation, critical thinking, and problem-solving by bridging connections between STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and economic development. Students in this course will be given college credit through the University of Iowa.
- College Enrichment Program (CEP) courses will be folded into College Prep 2 (CP2) sections in Math, English, Science, Social Studies and World Languages. CP2 courses will have the same level of scaffolding and support that were provided in the CEP courses. However, there will be more flexibility so that a student could be properly placed CP2 for math but placed in Honors for English and vise-a-versa.
- In order to optimize placement and maximize student choice, senior English classes will be full year courses instead of half-year courses.
- Additional sections of Economics and Advanced Placement Economics will be added.
- A new Catholicism in Culture course will take inspiration from the Jesuit motto of “Finding God in All Things,” and use film, art, and pop-culture as ways of reflecting upon the Catholic faith.
- “Fitness for Life” will be a semester-long, introductory course for all 9th graders. It will introduce them to the new Health and Wellness Center, exercise physiology, health, and sports nutrition.
- A sophomore-level course, Intro to Health and Wellness, will build upon Fitness for Life and introduce students to spinning, yoga, kickboxing and circuit-training.
For additional details, please review the newly revised SJHS Course Catalogue 2018-2018 posted on our website, or by clicking this link.
Return to the This Week at St Joes Newsletter: http://conta.cc/2Eyf4kC